As we all know, October is the month to bring a little pink into our lives and celebrate National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women, however millions are surviving the disease including one of my personal training clients who I have grown an incredible relationship with. She came to me about a month and a half ago concerned about working out because she is a Survivor and has lymphedema. Lymphedema is the swelling of soft tissues of the arm, shoulder or breast and can cause discomfort. Many women worry that lifting weights will trigger the lymphedema, however if done correctly it outweighs the risks! It has also been proven, even by my client that with weight training it is less likely to get worse.
If you are on the fence of exercising, read these tips…Everyone starts somewhere, my client did and put her trust in me and she has progressed tremendously in the past month and a half. She has become a lot stronger and her energy is on another level!
- Always get cleared from your primary care physician and surgeon to workout.
- Always warm-up. Take 5-10 minutes to warm up your muscles. Stretching all major muscle groups is key to any workout program.
- Slow & Steady. (My favorite saying…refer to my last Tasha’s Tips) Everyone is different, every breast cancer is different. Keep in mind you may feel fatigue. You want your workouts to be challenging but not draining to the body. Take your time with everything, give yourself time to recover, become stronger and healthier.
- Form ~ Really focus on your form in every exercise you perform.
- Rest is always important. If your body is telling you to take the day off, listen to it!
- Heart Rate Monitors are a great way to track your workouts. We want to make sure you are getting the most out of your workouts, however we can monitor so your not over working. As mentioned before we want to take things slow.
We are having our own Breast Cancer Awareness Workout this Saturday in our Swarthmore location.
Burpees for Boobies!
Bring your friends, family, neighbors, dog walker, dentist, or local grocer to a big group workout on October 29th at 8:30am in Swarthmore!
Bring a receipt of donation to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation: www.bcrfcure.org or bring your card with you and you can donate on the spot! We will get the ball rolling by making a $20 donation on behalf of Fit Tribe, but whatever amount you decide to make is up to you!
Then let’s get your sweat on in an awesome Fit Tribe workout!!!
And don’t forget — wear PINK to show your support! Best pink outfit wins a prize!